5 years ago
1 min read
I’m turning 39++ and in my 20 years of IT I have seen plenty of things
I’m turning 39++ and in my 20 years of IT I have seen and did many things
- My first day on the job I broke the SCM. Destroyed completely
- I sent 3 people for a week to another country to fix something for a boolean I forgot to reset
- I forgot to invoice USD 50k after a fix to an invoicing software
- Did UI skins in java in year 2001
- Worked with IBM visual age for java!
- I’ve seen XML born
- Worked in IBM
- I coded in SmallTalk, FrontPage, Java AWT , Textile apps, and IoT
- I coded SOA , REST, SOAP services and microservices
- I coded a POS , backoffice and mobile apps
- I have seen OS2 (looks like this)
- We wrote SQL in the JSPs
- I interviewed many people, few good
- Visited India, US, Chile , Peru, Uruguay for work.
- Saw James Gosling in person! this is the guy
- Got fired from a startup in the year 2000 bubble
- Deployed java apps in AS400! ( I bet just a few did that)
- Worked remotely with people in Italy, India, Denmark, Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Uruguay, United States, Spain, New Zeland, Dubai, England
- I coded a call center app
- Tried college 3 times
- Had Gmail since 2004
- Used ICQ, MSN Messenger and IE 4
- Download 4MB of Internet Explorer 4 thru the whole night connected to a modem.
- Learned with the IBM Red books
- Played the first version of DOOM
- Coded in a Commodore 64!
- I got evacuated for fire many times
- I got into the office and it was robbed thru the night
- I got fired and I got another job the same day
Happy coding !
Check out all articles
Rodrigo Asensio is Manager of Solution Architecture at Amazon Web Services. He has more than 20 years of experience designing and operating distributed solutions. He is currently responsible for a team in the Enterprise segment helping large clients accelerate their adoption of the cloud and optimize the utilization of their resources.